Posted Tuesday, November 26th, 2019
Earmarked for People in Danger of Homelessness
A $232,767 federal government grant to the Morris County Housing Authority, in coordination with Dover Housing Authority, will target 25 residents and/or their families with disabilities to avoid homelessness.
The award was part of $131 million to 325 local housing authorities nationwide by the federal Department of Housing of Urban Development.
The Housing Authority of the County of Morris has both apartments and its headquarters on Ketch Road in Morris Township.
The purpose of this grant is to help provide housing to the non-elderly persons with disabilities who are:
- Transitioning out of institutional or other segregate settings
- At risk of institutionalization
- Currently experiencing homelessness
- Previously experienced homelessness and currently is a client in a permanent supportive housing or rapid rehousing project;
- At risk of experiencing homelessness.
The Housing Authority also has established formal partnerships with the following agencies who will provide voluntary services and supports to enable individuals to live independently in the community:
- Community Hope
- Morris County Department of Human Services
- Family Promise of Morris County
- Homeless Solutions
- Mental Health Association of Essex/Morris
Since the grant does not provide funding for case management services, which are extremely vital in assisting this special population, the agencies have collaborated to provide the following:
- Coordinate outreach and referral of persons in institutional and other segregated setting who want to move to community-based integrated settings and persons at serious risk of institutionalization, and persons currently experiencing homelessness.
- Assist persons with disabilities to apply to and obtain acceptance in housing programs or find housing or secure home modifications and/or disability-related accommodations.
- Assist persons with disabilities to move into units, including physically accessible units where appropriate, on the private rental market.
- Refer, coordinate, or provide home and community-based services.
- Provide outreach to recruit landlords to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
For more information, visit HUD’s Mainstream Voucher Program website.