The Morris County Department of Public Works, Engineering & Transportation Division is seeking an Assistant Engineer to be part of the engineering staff group. This position will assist existing engineering staff to provide overall project management. Projects range from county facility upgrades, roadway projects, and intersection improvements. Project oversight to include inspection; report writing; development of engineering designs; preparation of technical specifications and performance of public outreach.
We are looking for a responsible candidate that is interested in working under direction/supervision to perform civil engineering design, CAD drafting, basic knowledge of facilities structures, construction inspection and related work on a full-time basis.
- Oversees facility design and construction services for County environmental cleanup & building projects. Provide review recommendations on facility projects.
- Review plans for building improvement projects including electrical, plumbing, fire protection, mechanical, structural, and architectural.
- Oversees development of project master plans and implementation of those plans through reviews, cost estimates and construction. Plans, designs and writes specifications for construction projects. Prepares bid documents and works with other County departments to procure professional services and construction contracts. Reviews bids and recommends contract award for construction projects.
- Ensures that professional consultants and Clerk of the Works provide appropriate services related to program and scope requirements of design projects. Ensures that vendors and contractors comply with plans and specifications of the construction contract. Supervises the inspection of construction in progress and of existing systems in cooperation with relevant contractual and governmental agencies.
- Establishes project priorities and sets schedules for timely completion of construction projects.
- Utilizes a computer in administering construction contracts; prepares monthly progress payments and contract change orders. Interprets project requirements based upon contract plans and specifications, coordinates final inspection and job closeout;
- Assists in the preparation of plans and Bid documents;
- In conjunction with other County staff, develops and explores new concepts and ideas related to construction management.
- Demonstrates responsibility and sound work ethic.
- Assists in the preparation of designs, CAD drafting, specifications, plans, estimates and reports for projects;
- Ability to read and interpret rules and regulations and applies them to specific situations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering or mechanical engineering and/or graduate studies in civil engineering or mechanical engineering;
- Preferable two (2) to five (5) years of related experience, EIT or PE license a plus.
- Valid New Jersey Driver’s License
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Autodesk products;
- Knowledge of principles of civil and mechanical engineering, design and construction practices;
- Knowledge of basic methods and standards for building construction.
- Experience in roadway, drainage, traffic, and development design.
- Knowledge of NJDOT, NJDEP and Morris County Standards and Specifications;
- Communication and interpersonal skills to successfully interact with co-workers, supervisors, the general public and others;
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
- Ability to work harmoniously with other public officials, private contractors, architects, and property owners.
- Knowledge of basic fire protection and code requirements.
Salary: $47,070 – $58,838 Annually
Please fill out our online employment form to apply.