The position requires rotating shifts covering 24 hours per day 7 days per week in a secure facility, the Morris County Juvenile Detention Center.
- Controlling the general conduct and behavior of juvenile residents, the maintenance of discipline, and custodial, recreational, and housekeeping functions.
- Supervises and/or participates in various programs/activities with juvenile residents to stimulate interest in and cooperation with various social/education programs.
- Keeps track of assigned juveniles under immediate charge through periodic head counts, and records schedules, activities, incidents, and medical information.
- Uses appropriate techniques to calm disruptive juvenile residents in a potentially dangerous situation and may physically restrain them to prevent them from endangering their health/safety or others.
- Searches juveniles’ clothing/possessions, and makes periodic room checks to detect contraband in accord with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Minimum of a 1-year direct supervision of juveniles or 12 college credits in sociality, psychology, criminology or related field.
- Will need to complete the Police Training Commission “Basic Course for Juvenile Detention Officer” within 12 Months of appointment.
Please fill out our online employment form to apply.