Posted Thursday, November 1st, 2018
DOVER AND MORRISTOWN NEAR COMPLETION
Milling and paving work on sections of Jacksonville Road in Pequannock and Mount Hope Road in Rockaway Township are underway, and the first stages of a Central Avenue project in Madison has begun, as county hired work crews move to complete projects while the weather remains relatively warm.
The Blackwell Street project in Dover, which was held up in mid-project due to the recent major fire in town, is now complete, with striping work to be completed by Friday. Paving work is underway on Court Street in Morristown, with striping also to be done shortly.
Delays in obtaining state approvals for paving projects pushed back the county’s 2018 paving schedule, with many projects set for the spring and summer delayed to the fall. Contracts were promptly bid and awarded and work expedited once approvals were received.
“We understand motorists have been inconvenienced by this work, and we have tried to work as closely with towns and school districts as possible to limit problems,’’ said Freeholder John Cesaro. “These projects are important to complete, so we really appreciate your patience.’’
The paving is part of the Morris County Board of Freeholders’ plan to maintain the county’s road infrastructure, with more than 30 miles of roads across 24 municipalities scheduled for paving this year at cost of $9 million (including state and county dollars).
To see the complete list of scheduled 2018 county paving projects, visit: https://transportation.morriscountynj.gov/2018-county-road-paving-projects/
The county work is in addition to local and state road-improvement projects.
Road closures and detours will be signed and coordinated with the local police. Motorists should expect delays. Bicyclists are urged to seek other routes.
- Jacksonville Road/Newark-Pompton Turnpike, Pequannock: The 1.7-mile project runs from West Parkway to the county line. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $900,956. Concrete work is underway. The project includes milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Court Street, Morristown: A 0.1-mile project in the middle of the county government and state court complex. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $504,372. Includes sidewalk, lighting and paving. Paving is being done Nov. 1 and 2.
- Rockaway Twp., Mount Hope Road: The one-mile project runs from Mount Hope Avenue to Lake Denmark Road. Topline Construction of Somerville is the contractor, with a bid price is $404,859. The project will start on or about Oct. 24 and will include milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with NO WORK on Election Day. Alternate traffic is required.
- Madison, Central Avenue: The slightly more than one-mile project runs from Main Street to Ridgedale Avenue. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $526,554. Concrete work has begun. The project will include ADA ramps, milling, paving and striping. Work hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The contractor cannot work in the area of the Central Avenue School between 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Alternating traffic is likely in the work zone.
- Boonton Turnpike, Lincoln Park: The 2.1-mile project runs from Main Street to the Wayne border. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $1.3 million. Concrete and drainage work should begin on Nov. 12. Paving could be delayed until 2019 depending on the weather. The project includes ADA ramps, guiderails, milling, paving and striping. Work hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. from Main Street to McDonald’s, and from the county bridge north 1,000 feet; and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. elsewhere. Alternating traffic is required.
- Roxbury, Mt. Arlington Blvd: The half-mile project runs from Landing Road to Laurie Road. J.A. Alexander Inc. of Bloomfield is the contractor, with a bid price of $272,423. The project should on Nov. 12, with drainage work. Paving could be delayed until 2019 depending on the weather. The project includes guiderail, milling, paving and striping work. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Alternating traffic is likely.
DELAYED UNTIL 2019
Morris and Harding townships, James Street: A 0.6-mile project from Harter Road to Southgate Parkway. Contract has been awarded to Schifano Construction.
Parsippany, Littleton Road: 1.7 mile-project from Route 10 to Crestview Drive. Contract has been awarded to AJM Contractors.
- Boontons, Powerville Road: 4-miles from West Main Street in Boonton to Valley Road in Boonton Township;
- Butler and Kinnelon, Boonton Avenue: One-mile project from Grace View Drive to just short of Route 23.
- Dover, Blackwell Street: 7-mile project from Warren Street to Salem Street.
- Mine Hill, Randolph Ave: 9-mile project will run from Rte. 46 to Randolph Ave.
- Montville: Changebridge Road: Three-segments. 0.9-mile project;
- Morris Twp., Mendham Road: 5-miles from Indian Head Road to Kahdena Road;
- Parsippany, Gov. Chris Christie Drive: The one-third-mile road opened Sept. 12.
- Rockaway Borough: One-mile project from Wall Street to Route 46.
- Washington Twp., East Mill Street: A 2.3-mile project from Schooley’s Mountain Road to East Valley Brook Road.