Posted Thursday, October 25th, 2018
DOVER PROJECT ON HOLD DUE TO A MASSIVE FIRE
Milling and paving of East Main Street in Rockaway Borough should start today (Thursday, Oct. 25) and preliminary work for the paving of segments of Central Avenue in Madison and Boonton Turnpike in Lincoln Park should begin on Monday (Oct. 29).
Two other county paving and road improvement projects are underway, including sections of Boonton Avenue in Butler and Kinnelon, and Jacksonville Road in Pequannock.
However, paving on Blackwell Street in Dover is on hold due to the massive fire that occurred in the town on Monday. The street has been milled but the contractor is unable to access the road at this time to complete the paving portion of the job. A decision will be made, in coordination with the town, in the coming days on when the work can resume.
The paving is part of the Morris County Board of Freeholders’ plan to maintain the county’s road infrastructure, with more than 30 miles of roads across 24 municipalities scheduled for paving this year at cost of $9 million (including state and county dollars).
Delays in obtaining state approvals for the paving work pushed back the county’s 2018 paving schedule, with efforts being made award bid contracts and expedite work.
Work has begun on this section of Jacksonville Road in Pequannock
To see the complete list of scheduled 2018 county paving projects, visit:
The county work is in addition to local and state road-improvement projects.
Road closures and detours will be signed and coordinated with the local police departments for all county projects. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours. Bicyclists are urged to seek other routes.
- East Main Street, Rockaway Borough: The 1.0-mile project runs from Wall Street to Route 46. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price of $602,801. Paving should start this week. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jacksonville Road/Newark-Pompton Turnpike, Pequannock: The 1.7-mile project runs from West Parkway to the county line. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $900,956. Concrete work is underway. The project includes milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Boonton Avenue, Butler and Kinnelon: The one-mile project runs from Grace View Drive to just short of Route 23. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $340,314. Drainage and storm basin work is underway. The project also includes milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Alternating traffic is required.
- Court Street, Morristown: A 0.1-mile project in the middle of the county government and state court complex. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $504,372. Includes sidewalk, lighting and paving. Paving should occur very soon.
- Blackwell Street, Dover: The 0.7-mile project runs from Warren Street to Salem Street. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor. The bid price is $439,065. Milling is completed and paving pending. The town has asked for a delay due to the recent downtown fire. Work is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. One lane of traffic will remain open but motorists should expect delays.
- Boonton Turnpike, Lincoln Park: The 2.1-mile project runs from Main Street to the Wayne border. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $1.3 million. The project is scheduled to begin on Monday, Oct. 29, with prep work, and Nov. 5 for milling and paving. It includes ADA ramps, guiderails, milling, paving and striping. Work hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. from Main Street to McDonald’s, and from the county bridge north 1,000 feet; and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. elsewhere. Alternating traffic is required.
- Madison, Central Avenue: The slightly more than one-mile project runs from Main Street to Ridgedale Avenue. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $526,554. The project is set to start with prep work on Friday (Oct. 26) and will include ADA ramps, milling, paving and striping. Work hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The contractor cannot work in the area of the Central Avenue School between 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Alternating traffic is likely in the work zone.
- Rockaway Twp., Mount Hope Road: The one-mile project runs from Mount Hope Avenue to Lake Denmark Road. Topline Construction of Somerville is the contractor, with a bid price is $404,859. The project will start on or about Oct. 24 and will include milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with NO WORK on Election Day. Alternate traffic is required.
- Roxbury, Mt. Arlington Blvd: The half-mile project runs from Landing Road to Laurie Road. J.A. Alexander Inc. of Bloomfield is the contractor, with a bid price of $272,423. The project will start on or about Nov. 12, with drainage and preparatory work. It includes guiderail, milling, paving and striping work. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Alternating traffic is likely.
- Boontons, Powerville Road: 4-miles from West Main Street in Boonton to Valley Road in Boonton Township;
- Mine Hill, Randolph Ave: 9-mile project will run from Rte. 46 to Randolph Ave.
- Montville: Changebridge Road: Three-segments. 0.9-mile project;
- Morris Twp., Mendham Road: 5-miles from Indian Head Road to Kahdena Road;
- Parsippany, Gov. Chris Christie Drive: The one-third-mile road opened Sept. 12.
- Washington Twp., East Mill Street: A 2.3-mile project from Schooley’s Mountain Road to East Valley Brook Road;