Posted Thursday, October 18th, 2018
Dover, Pequannock, and Rockaway Borough Work is Underway
A host of county road paving and improvement projects have begun or are set to start soon across Morris County, as contractors make a push to get the county road work done prior to the onset of colder autumn weather.
- Paving is set to start Monday on Blackwell Street in Dover;
- Sidewalk, ramp, and bridge work is ongoing on East Main Street in Rockaway Borough;
- Concrete work has started on Jacksonville Road/Newark Pompton Turnpike in Pequannock;
- The Court Street project in Morristown is nearing completion.
Segment of Boonton Avenue targeted for paving
In addition, pre-paving drainage work has begun on a section of Boonton Avenue in Butler and Kinnelon, and paving is set to start in the next three weeks on sections of Boonton Turnpike in Lincoln Park and Mt. Hope Avenue in Rockaway Township.
Two anticipated 2018 paving projects, Highview Terrace in Hanover Township and a section of James Street in Morris and Harding townships have been pushed back to 2019.
The paving work is part of the Morris County Board of Freeholders’ comprehensive plan that aggressively targets road infrastructure, with more than 30 miles of roads across 24 municipalities scheduled for paving this year at cost of $9 million (including state and county dollars).
Delays in obtaining state approvals for the paving work pushed back the county’s 2018 paving schedule, with efforts being made award bid contracts and expedite work.
Segment of Jacksonville Road targeted for paving
To see the complete list of scheduled 2018 county paving projects, visit:
The county work is in addition to local and state road-improvement projects.
Road closures and detours will be signed and coordinated with the local police departments for all county projects. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours. Bicyclists are urged to seek other routes.
- Blackwell Street, Dover: The 0.7-mile project runs from Warren Street to Salem Street. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor. The bid price is $439,065. The project included storm basins, milling, paving, ADA ramps, guide rails, and striping. Paving should start on Monday. Work is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. One lane of traffic will remain open but motorists should expect delays.
- Court Street, Morristown: A 0.1-mile project in the middle of the county government and state court complex. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $504,372. Includes sidewalk, lighting and paving. It should be completed next week.
- East Main Street, Rockaway Borough: The 1.0-mile project runs from Wall Street to Route 46. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price of $602,801. Sidewalk, ramp, and bridge repair work is ongoing, with paving to follow. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jacksonville Road/Newark-Pompton Turnpike, Pequannock: The 1.7-mile project runs from West Parkway to the county line. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $900,956. Concrete work is underway. The project includes milling, paving and striping. Work is tentatively set for 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Boonton Avenue, Butler and Kinnelon: The one-mile project runs from Grace View Drive to just short of Route 23. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $340,314. Drainage and storm basin work is underway. The project also includes milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Alternating traffic is required.
- Boonton Turnpike, Lincoln Park: The 2.1-mile project runs from Main Street to the Wayne border. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price is $1.3 million. The project is scheduled to begin Oct. 29 with prep work, and Nov. 5 for milling and paving. It includes ADA ramps, guiderails, milling, paving and striping. Work hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. from Main Street to MacDonald’s, and from the county bridge north 1,000 feet; and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. elsewhere. Alternating traffic is required.
- Rockaway Twp., Mount Hope Road: The one-mile project runs from Mount Hope Avenue to Lake Denmark Road. Topline Construction of Somerville is the contractor, with a bid price is $404,859. The project will start on or about Oct. 24 and will include milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., with NO WORK on Election Day. Alternate traffic is required.
- Boontons, Powerville Road: 4-miles from West Main Street in Boonton to Valley Road in Boonton Township;
- Mine Hill, Randolph Ave: 9-mile project will run from Rte. 46 to Randolph Ave.
- Montville: Changebridge Road: Three-segments. 0.9-mile project;
- Morris Twp., Mendham Road: 5-miles from Indian Head Road to Kahdena Road;
- Parsippany, Gov. Chris Christie Drive: The one-third-mile road opened Sept. 12.
- Washington Twp., East Mill Street: A 2.3-mile project from Schooley’s Mountain Road to East Valley Brook Road;