Posted Monday, September 24th, 2018
County road-paving projects on sections of Blackwell Street in Dover and East Mill Road in Washington Township are underway, with motorists advised to anticipate brief traffic delays over the next week as work continues.
Milling and paving will begin this week, possibly Wednesday, on busy Court Street, at the heart of the county government and state court system, in Morristown.
That project has been on hold pending completion of underground utility work, following a sidewalk project. Court Street will be closed for four to five days, with an anticipated reopening on Monday, Oct. 1.
In addition, county paving projects are is pending on portions of East Main Street in Rockaway Borough, Jacksonville Road in Pequannock, and Highview Terrace in Hanover, with start dates to be determined by contractors’ schedule, and progress on pending county paving jobs.
A section of Jacksonville Road in Pequannock is scheduled for paving
The paving work is part of the Morris County Board of Freeholders’ comprehensive plan that aggressively targets road infrastructure, with more than 30 miles of roads across 24 municipalities scheduled for paving this year at cost of $9 million (including state and county dollars).
Delays in obtaining state approvals for the paving work pushed back the county’s paving schedule, with efforts being made now to award bid contracts and expedite work.
To see the complete list of scheduled 2018 county paving projects, visit: https://transportation.morriscountynj.gov/2018-county-road-paving-projects/
The county work is in addition to local and state road-improvement projects.
“We are working hard to get as many of our planned 2018 projects done before cold weather sets in,’’ said Freeholder John Cesaro. “Any projects delayed this year would have priority for paving in 2019.’’
East Main Street in Rockaway Borough is among the paving projects slated for this year.
Paving in 2018 is scheduled on county roads located in Butler, Chatham Borough, Dover, Florham Park, Hanover, Jefferson, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park, and Madison. Also, for Mendham Township, Mine Hill, Montville, Morris Township, Morristown, Netcong, Parsippany, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, Roxbury, Washington Township, and Wharton.
Road closures and detours will be signed and coordinated with the local police departments for all of the projects. Motorists should expect delays and possible detours. Bicyclists are urged to seek other routes during this construction period
- Blackwell Street, Dover: The 0.7-mile project runs from Warren Street to Salem Street. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor. The bid price is $439,065. The project includes storm basin work, milling, paving, ADA ramps, guide rails, and striping. Work is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. One lane of traffic will remain open but motorists should expect delays.
- East Mill Street, Washington Township: The 2.3-mile project runs from Schooley’s Mountain Road to East Valley Brook Road. The contractor is Schifano Construction of Middlesex. The project includes milling, paving and striping. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Expect detours and delays.
- Court Street, Morristown: A 0.1 mile project has been delayed pending completion of required water utility work. AJM Contractors of Clifton is the contractor, with a bid price of $504,372. Work should start on Sept. 26. The contractor will schedule a four-day full closure of Court Street to mill, pave and re-stripe the street.
- East Main Street, Rockaway Borough: The 1.0-mile project will run from Wall Street to Route 46. Milling and paving will start soon, depending on the contractor’s completion of another county project. Schifano Construction of Middlesex is the contractor, with a bid price of $602,801. The project will include storm basin, ADA ramps, milling, paving, guide rails, and striping. Work hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Highview Avenue, Hanover Twp.: The 0.2-mile project will run to East Hanover Avenue. AJM Contractors of Clifton will be the contractor. The bid price is $124,359. The project includes storm basin work, milling, paving, ADA ramps, and striping. Work is expected to occur from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The start date depends on the contractor’s schedule.
- Jacksonville Road/Newark-Pompton Turnpike, Pequannock: The 1.7-mile project will run from West Parkway to the county line. Schifano Construction of Middlesex also in the contractor for this project. The project includes milling, paving and striping. Work is tentatively set for 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The start date depends on the contractor’s completion of other ongoing county paving projects
- Boontons, Powerville Road: 4-miles from West Main Street in Boonton to Valley Road in Boonton Township;
- Mine Hill, Randolph Ave: 9-mile project will run from Rte 46 to Randolph Ave.
- Montville: Changebridge Road: Three-segments. 0.9-mile project;
- Morris Twp., Mendham Road: 5-miles from Indian Head Road to Kahdena Road;
- Parsippany, Gov. Chris Christie Drive: The one-third-mile road opened Sept. 12.