Get the latest: COVID-19 Updates | 2020 Primary Election

Posted Wednesday, July 18th, 2018

ICan Bike Camp Riders on Wait List Due to Lack of Volunteers

Volunteer Spotters Needed at CCM Aug. 6-10 for iCan Bike Camp for Disabled ResidentsThe ICan Bike group urgently needs volunteer spotters for an indoor bike camp set for the week of Aug. 6-10 at County College of Morris in Randolph that will teach people with disabilities how to ride a two-wheeled bike. No experience is necessary.

Nearly 20 Morris County area students who want to learn to ride have been placed on a waiting list for the camp because of a lack of volunteers. Participants in the camp attend one 75-minute session each day for the week. Volunteers are requested to sign up for the same session all week long.

ICan Bike uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a bike. Each riders attend the same 75-minute session each day for five consecutive days whereby they are physically assisted and encouraged by the same two volunteer “spotters”.

Volunteer Spotters Needed at CCM Aug. 6-10 for iCan Bike Camp for Disabled Residents

Young rider at a previous iCanBike camp in NJ

Over the course of the 5-day camp the adapted bike is adjusted to gradually introduce more instability in an effort to challenge riders at their own individual pace. The week is concluded with a touching and inspiring award ceremony.

ICan Bike riders must be: ages 8 and up; weigh no more than 220 lbs.; have a disability; have an inseam measurement of at least 20”; be able to walk without assistive devices and sidestep from side to side. By the end of the 5-day camp approximately 80% of riders learn to ride a conventional bike completely independently. The remaining 20% make tremendous  progress towards that goal.

The camp is held Aug. 6-10 in Randolph at County College of Morris, 214 Center Grove Road, Randolph. The cost is $200 per rider. Sponsors and donations are welcome to offset administrative costs for the program.

Sessions are held:

Session 1     8:30am – 9:45am

Session 2     10:05am – 11:20am

Session 3     11:40am – 12:55pm

Session 4     2:00pm – 3:15pm

Session 5     3:35pm – 4:50pm

Email [email protected] for information or a volunteer registration form or download it from the iCan Bike website.