Posted Saturday, June 16th, 2018
ICan Bike Teaches People with Disabilities How to Ride — Camp is Aug. 6-10
Participants in the camp attend one 75-minute session each day for the week. Volunteers are requested to sign up for the same session all week long.
iCan Bike uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a bike. Each riders attend the same 75-minute session each day for five consecutive days whereby they are physically assisted and encouraged by the same two volunteer “spotters”.
Over the course of the 5-day camp the adapted bike is adjusted to gradually introduce more instability in an effort to challenge riders at their own individual pace. The week is concluded with a touching and inspiring award ceremony.
ICan Bike riders must be: ages 8 and up; weigh no more than 220 lbs.; have a disability; have an inseam measurement of at least 20”; be able to walk without assistive devices and sidestep from side to side. By the end of the 5-day camp approximately 80% of riders learn to ride a conventional bike completely independently. The remaining 20% make tremendous progress towards that goal.
The camp is held Aug. 6-10 in Randolph at County College of Morris, 214 Center Grove Road, Randolph. The cost is $200 per rider. Sponsors and donations are welcome to offset administrative costs for the program.
Sessions are held:
Session 1 8:30am – 9:45am
Session 2 10:05am – 11:20am
Session 3 11:40am – 12:55pm
Session 4 2:00pm – 3:15pm
Session 5 3:35pm – 4:50pm