Posted Sunday, June 24th, 2018
Free Guided Tour Takes Patriots’ Path on July 4
Join the Morris County Historical Society for a Fourth of July hike along Patriots’ Path to the archaeological site of New Jersey’s Revolutionary War Powder Mill along the Whippany River at 11 a.m. or 2 p.m.
The hike is part of a series of Revolutionary Times events held on July 4 at the museum, on Morristown Green and around the area. See a listing here.
Learn about the history of the Powder Mill, the significant role it played locally during the Revolutionary War, and plans for its future.
MCHS’s history with the Powder Mill stretches to 1969, before the formal acquisition of Acorn Hall, back to a time when the installation of Route 287 was looming over the area.
Without knowing the exact location of the archaeological site and fearing its destruction as the roadway progressed, then MCHS President Alex Fowler initiated the search to locate and document the site.
Fred and Isabel Bartenstein researched the history of Jacob Ford Jr.’s plight and construction of the mill with the New Jersey Legislature, while Edward Lenik conducted the archaeological investigations that found artifacts and structural evidence of at least one building.
The free hike will follow Patriots’ Path roughly a quarter mile from Acorn Hall’s back porch. For more information on all the events happening during Revolutionary Times, visit morristourism.org.
MCHS is located at Acorn Hall, 68 Morris Avenue in Morristown, and is open Wednesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sundays, 1-4 p.m. Admission, which includes the exhibits and landscaped grounds, is $6 for adults, $5 for seniors, $3 for students, and is free for children under 12 and MCHS members.
For more information, call MCHS at 973-267-3465 or visit the MCHS website: MorrisCountyHistory.org.
Founded in 1945, MCHS is a nonprofit organization with a to preserve and promote the history of Morris County. It receives operating funds from the Morris County Board of Freeholders and the New Jersey Historical Commission, and project/preservation grant funding from the New Jersey Historic Trust, 1772 Foundation, and Morris County Historic Preservation Trust.