Posted Friday, March 2nd, 2018
Message from the Morris County Office of Emergency Management
With today’s storm expected to impact its service area, JCP&L is prepared to activate its storm restoration plan should power outages occur.
Customers without power should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report the outage, or click the “Report Outage” link on www.firstenergycorp.com.
In the event of severe weather, customers should immediately report downed wires to their utility, or call their local police or fire department.
• Keep electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers fully charged to be ready for any emergencies.
• Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy in the event a power interruption occurs. Tune to a local station for current storm information.
• Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage in the event of a power outage. Ensure the proper generator is selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, the power coming into the home should always be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers.
• Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person. Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
• If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
• Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
• Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when the power is out. If you have a smart phone, this will ensure you have access to online information sources.