Posted Monday, December 23rd, 2013

The Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority reminds county residents to recycle gift wrap this holiday season instead of putting it into the trash.

Penny Jones, recycling education specialist with the MUA, said gift wrap, including tissue paper, is acceptable in Morris County’s recycling programs.

“During the holidays, the amount of trash that haulers collect increases dramatically,” Jones said. “Much of that is gift wrap and packaging that can be reused or recycled rather than be put into in the trash.”

Jones suggested saving and reusing bows as well as bubble wrap and clean dry polystyrene (Styrofoam) packing peanuts.

She said the packing peanuts and bubble wrap can be taken to Mail Boxes Etc., the UPS Store or similar retailers for reuse. To find the closest store, Jones said an individual can visit the Plastic Loosefill Council’s website,, or call the “Peanut” Hotline at 1-800-828-2214 or check the Yellow Pages.

Corrugated cardboard cartons, pre-holiday catalogs and gift boxes should also be recycled, as should glass bottles, plastic containers that are acceptable in a given municipality, aluminum beverage cans and steel food cans from holiday gatherings.

Newspapers, magazines and junk mail, which are generated year round, should be recycled as well. If cardboard boxes are too large to fit into a curbside recycling bin, they should be flattened, folded and stacked inside one cardboard box and placed next to the recycling bin, Jones said.

Some municipalities accept strings of non-functioning Christmas trees at their drop-off sites, but not at curbside, however. One should contact his or her municipality to ask into which container at the drop-off site the lights should be deposited.

In addition, a number of new items are now being accepted for recycling in the communities that have contracts with the MCMUA for the curbside collection of recyclables, Jones said.

To determine what items are acceptable for recycling in a specific community, Jones said county residents may check with their individual municipality, or they may visit the Morris County MUA website,