Posted Wednesday, July 6th, 2011
The Morris County Freeholders have approved spending $2.57 million from the county’s Historic Preservation Trust Fund to help preserve 24 historic sites in 15 towns.
The freeholders approved the grants June 22 based on the recommendation of the county’s Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board.
Applications funding a total of 29 projects were approved, 14 for construction or restoration projects and 15 for non-construction projects, which may include acquisition and the development of plans for preservation.
The largest construction grant, $286,450, was awarded to Wharton to assist with the restoration of the tops of the lock walls of the Morris Canal Incline Lock 2 East. The project will bring the walls up to their historic elevation and will include the fabrication of wood lock gates. The Morris Canal Incline Lock 2 East and associated Tender’s House and outbuildings are an integral part of the 19th century Morris Canal system, and are contributing features in the Morris Canal Historic District.
Mountain Lakes received a $261,000 construction grant for the replacement of the roof on the Lake Drive School, the borough’s first school, which was built as a four-room schoolhouse in 1914.
A non construction grant totaling $48,560 was awarded to the Roxbury Historic Trust to help complete construction documents for the first and second phases of refurbishing the King Homestead Museum. The two and a half-story former store and post office on the site was built around 1815, and the Queen Anne style residence was constructed in 1881. The buildings are listed on the National and New Jersey Registers.
Other sites receiving historic preservation grants for construction were the Morristown and Morris Township Library; the Boonton Holmes Public Library; the 18th century Ford-Faesch House in Rockaway Township; the Church of the Redeemer Parish House in Morristown; the Community of St. John Baptist in Mendham Township; the Glenburn House in Riverdale; the Women’s Club of Morristown headquarters built in 1797; the former Baptist Church in Mount Olive; the Whippany Railway Museum’s Steam Locomotive 4039; the First Presbyterian Church of Boonton; the Presbyterian Church in Morristown; and the Stanhope United Methodist Church in Netcong.
Other sites benefitting from non-construction grants were the Presbyterian Church in Morristown; the Museum of Early Trades and Crafts in Madison; the L’Ecole Kinnelon Museum; the Boonton Holmes Public Library; the J. Smith Richardson History House in Mount Tabor; St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Morristown; the Former Baptist Church in Mount Olive; Acorn Hall in Morristown; the 1889 Butler Railroad Station; the mid-19th century Seward House in Mount Olive; and the Glenburn House in Riverdale.
Non-construction grants were also awarded to the First Presbyterian Church of Succasunna to assist in the completion of Historic Register nomination forms for the Succasunna Historic District, and to the Mount Tabor Historical Society to help complete a master plan for the Mount Tabor Historic District in Parsippany.
Morris County voters approved the creation of the Historic Preservation Trust Fund in November 2002, allowing the freeholders to amend the county’s Open Space and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund to include the acquisition and preservation of historic sites and facilities.
More information about the Historic Preservation Trust Fund may be obtained by calling Ray Chang at the Morris County Department of Planning and Development at 973-829-8120 or by visiting www.MorrisPlanning.org.