Thursday, June 23rd, 2016

PROJECTS IN 19 MORRIS COUNTY TOWNS WOULD GET $2.7 MILLION IN 2016 FUNDING

The Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board this week recommended $2.7 million in county grants from the county’s 2016 Preservation Trust Fund to help preserve, restore, or protect 32 historic sites in 19 towns across Morris County.

Moses Estey House

Moses Estey House in Morristown

The recommendations, made to the Morris County Board of Freeholders in Morristown, included grants ranging from $7,150 for the Union School House project in Washington Township to $268,360 for the South Street Presbyterian Church in Morristown.

The freeholders, who were briefed on the projects today, will make a final decision on the grant recommendations at their July 13 public meeting.

The grant money comes from the county’s voter-approved Open Space, Farmland, Floodplain Protection and Historic Preservation Trust Fund. Thirty nine applications were received this year seeking $3.7 million in historic grants.

Of the 32 recommended grants, 18 are construction grants while the other 14 are for non-construction purposes, such as planning or construction documents.

The largest number of awards were approved for historic projects in Morristown, Parsippany, Denville, Madison, Morris Township, and Mountain Lakes. Grants also were approved for projects in Boonton, Florham Park, Harding, Kinnelon, Mendham, Mine Hill, Mount Olive, Pequannock, Rockaway Borough, Rockaway Township, Roxbury, Washington Township and Wharton.

Ford-Faesch House in Rockaway Township

Ford-Faesch House in Rockaway Township

“These taxpayer-approved preservation funds will help finance the important task of preserving and sustaining our county’s heritage, to restore and protect important links to our past,’’ said Freeholder Director Kathy DeFillippo.

“The historic restoration and preservation work done with the help of these grants will allow future generations to fully enjoy and treasure these historic sites, to better understand our county’s history and preserve our roots, and will enhance the quality of life for all residents of Morris County, ’’ added Freeholder Christine Myers.

“The dedicated people working to preserve our links to the past, provide lessons for the present and ensure an inheritance for the future deserve our sincere thanks,’’ said Ray Chang, Historic Preservation Program Coordinator for Morris County. “Their efforts, supported by these grants, ensure that our county’s heritage and architectural legend are sustained.”

Giles Mandeville House in Pequannock

Giles Mandeville House in Pequannock

Awards are made for projects that offer significant contributions to the advancement of historic preservation; restorations, rehabilitations, and adaptive use plans of historic buildings and cultural landscapes.

The board also awards grants for projects that establish innovative documentation of our historic resources which contribute to the knowledge of our past; and pioneering inventive efforts to preserve communities, buildings, archaeological sites, and other types of historic resources.

Art Palombo, chairman of the county Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board, explained there were detailed reviews of all projects, including site visits, and that decisions were made on funding after lengthy debate and discussion by the entire board.

Projects being funded this year, include:

  • South Street Presbyterian Church, Morristown, $268,360: The church includes an 1893 Romanesque Revival sanctuary and 1878 Parish House. The site is contributing to the Morristown Historic District and has a certificate of eligibility for listing on the New Jersey and National Registers. This grant will provide for slate roof replacement at the south side of the main roof and the large dormer.
South Street Presbyterian Church in Morristown

South Street Presbyterian Church in Morristown

  • Moses Estey House, Morristown, $250,000: This Georgian and Colonial Revival house was built in 1786 by Captain Moses Estey, a veteran of the American Revolution. It originally stood at the corner of Spring and Water streets in Morristown and was relocated to the current site in 1969. The house is a contributing resource in the Speedwell Village National Register Historic District. The grant will provide for exterior rehabilitation and stabilization.

Lake Hopatcong Train Station, Roxbury, $215,571: This 1911 train station was built in the Jacobean style along the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad and the Lackawanna Cutoff project. From the station, passengers could transfer to steamboats connecting to the Morris Canal. The building has a certificate of eligibility and is part of the Morris Canal National Register Historic District. This grant will provide for restoration of the clay tile roof.

  • Ford-Faesch House, Rockaway Township $210,990: The Georgian-style house, built by Col. Jacob Ford, Jr. in 1772, was leased by Faesch, a Swiss ironmaster, whose superior-quality munitions and iron products were critical to Washington’s Revolutionary War effort. The applicant completed exterior restoration / stabilization with 2009 and 2011 grants. This grant will provide for the restoration of the west wing with building system upgrades.
  • Giles Mandeville House, Pequannock, $160,000: The First Reformed Church of Pompton Plains complex includes the Church building (c. 1711, rebuilt 1937), the Grace Chapel, the Dutch stone Manse (Giles Mandeville House, 1870s), a cemetery and support buildings. The complex is listed on the National and NJ Historic Registers. This grant will assist with exterior restoration at the Giles Mandeville House including masonry repointing and roof replacement at the porch.
First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon

First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon

  • First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon, Harding, $154,527: The Federal and Gothic Revival First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon, constructed in 1833 by the builder Elijah Hopping, is located at the crossroads of the community. The building is a contributing resource in the New Jersey and National Register listed New Vernon Historic District. This grant will assist with exterior restoration of the upper portion of tower and roof and three main entrances.

 

View the full list of  Historic Grants Recommendations 2016

County voters in 2002 approved an amendment to the county’s Preservation Trust Fund to include the acquisition and preservation of historic sites and facilities.

Since 2003, when the first grants were awarded, 93 sites or resources in 32 Morris County municipalities have received funding assistance.

For more information on Morris County’s historic preservation program, please visit: http://www.morrisplanning.org/divisions/PresTrust/Historic/index.asp